Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Even if you have experienced a fire loss on your residential or commercial property in Edmond before, it can still be difficult to know what steps you should take once the flames have been put out. It is important to be aware of the hazards that a fire loss presents and to take necessary caution to avoid compromising your safety or causing more damage to your property. Down below you can learn more about some do's and don'ts after a fire! These tips can help you feel better prepared in the unfortunate event of a fire.
Remember that our SERVPRO of Edmond team is always on call and available for immediate assistance following a loss. If you need us, we are only one call away!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (405) 330-2095
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.