5 Leading Causes of Home Fires
Five Common Fire Causes
Home fires typically start when high heat or open flame indoors come into contact with combustible materials. Once a home fire ignites, it burns combustibles and can cause major damage to a residence in Hibsaw, OK. Here are five of the most common fire causes to be aware of in order to reduce the risk level of your home.
The most common causes of fires at home is cooking. Cooktops and ranges with electrical heating coils or open gas flames can start a fire after being turned on accidentally or heat up hot oil to the auto-ignition point.
Heating equipment such as electric or gas furnaces and space heaters are common home fire risk factors. Have a furnace inspected by an HVAC professional at least once a year. Choose space heaters with safety features and only operate while attended and connected to a Ground-fault Circuit Interrupter outlet.
Frayed or exposed wires anywhere in a home may cause a fire to start. Reduce the risk of electrical fires by plugging devices into appropriately powered outlets and avoiding overloading circuits or short-circuiting.
4. Open Flame
Any form of open flame poses an elevated risk of fire, whether on a cooking range, in the form of lit candles or a blazing fireplace. Always stay alert and pay close attention to any fire indoors, including cigarettes.
Improper chemical storage is a common factor in fires. In many cases, chemicals combust and necessitate more extensive fire cleaning and restoration.
While it is impossible to guarantee that a home fire will never take place in Hibsaw, OK, being aware of common fire causes can help homeowners make safer decisions. A household should have the right number of fire alarms and classes of extinguishers on hand. Store fire safety equipment in locations that are convenient for putting out fire.